Research and Writing
- UVic's MLA Style Guide
- Essential information about how to cite your sources and format
- Centre for Academic Communication
- Get help with academic writing, research, and presentations
- My favourite citation management tool
- "From Bukowski to Hemingway: There's a Problem with the Way We Idolise Drunk Male Writers," by Ceri Radford
- The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking, by Olivia Laing
- Love on the Rocks: Men, Women, and Alcohol in Post-World War II America, by Lori Rotskoff
- The Thirsty Muse: Alcohol and the American Writer, by Tom Dardis
- "See All the Crafty Ways Americans Hid Alcohol During Prohibition," by Christopher Klein
- Vintage Cocktail Books
- A treasure trove of fully digitized cocktail books, courtesy of the Exposition Universelle des Vins et Spiritueux
- The Lost Weekend (1945) - dir. Billy Wilder
- Co-written by Charles Jackson and based on his 1944 novel, which we will be reading for this course.
- Under the Volcano (1984) - dir. John Huston
- This film is based on Malcolm Lowry's novel of the same name, which we will be reading for this course.
- The Great Gatsby (1974) - dir. Jack Clayton
- A film based on F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel. Incidentally, this came out in the same year Leonardo DiCaprio—who stars in Baz Luhrmann's 2013 adaptation of The Great Gatsby—was born. You decide which version is better.
- Prohibition mini-series (2011) - dir. Ken Burns and Lynn Novick
Student Services and Supports
- Academic Advising - get academic advice from faculty in the Department of English at UVic
- The English Students’ Association - commune and commiserate with fellow English students
- Counselling Services - get free professional, confidential, and inclusive support
- Student Mental Health Services - get immediate assistance or learn about long-term ways to work towards positive mental health
- Indigenous Student Support Centre - get cultural, emotional, and academic support; access to resources and quiet study spaces; etc.